Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorable Memorial Weekend

McKay and I had this planned for the past couple months.  We were going down to Capitol Reef National Park, go camping, hiking, and enjoy the scenery.  Our last getaway before the baby comes.  It was met with much excitement, but getting there was another story.  

McKay and I Thursday, I get off of work and have a 100 things on my list of things I need to do before McKay and I could leave for Orem to stay the night.  I ran to a few stores exchanging some things, as I'm walking out of Old Navy and rumbling for my keys, I realized I locked my keys in the ignition!  Are you kidding me!  The one time I needed a spare key, it wasn't in the spot I always have one.  Great, just what I need.  Thankfully I have a grandma who loves me and lives close by who can bail me out when I'm experiencing stupid pregnancy moments.  I had to explain in great detail to my grandma to drive to my house, go to the backyard and unlock the pad lock where she will find our house key. Go inside my house and look for the spare key to my car in this cabinet, then drive up to Layton and drop it off to me.  About 40 minutes later my wonderful and sweet grandma shows up.  I'm so thankful, thanking her a hundred times.  I think to myself, "I can still get what I need to get done: grocery shopping, pack Winston and I, get everything in the car, take the garbage out, water the plants, pick up the mail, pick up McKay and bike from work, and drive down to Orem before it gets too late." I'm driving home and realize the bag with all of items I exchanged at Old Navy, I left it on the back bumper of my car while I was waiting for my Grandma.  OH MY GOSH!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!  I drove all the way back up to Layton praying that I'll be able to find the bag with all of my stuff in it.  Right before I turn into Old Navy I see this bag and clothes all over the road.  That's my stuff!  I stopped the car in the middle lane, waited for the cars to pass, hurried and picked up all of my crap that was thrown all over the pavement.  Thank you Lord!  

By this time it's around 8:00 p.m.  No time to go grocery shopping for the trip.  I drive home again, feed and pack Winston, finish packing myself, take out the garbage, water the plants, get mail, tidy up the house, and put everything in the car for our camping trip.  It's 9:00 p.m. by now and McKay is getting irritated because he's been working for 14 hours, is hungry and tired, and has been waiting for me to pick him up from work for the past two hours.  I pick up McKay and drive down to Orem and get there around 10:00 p.m.  

As we're bringing things into McKay's parents house, I freeze and turn white as a ghost when I realize, I cannot find my bag.  My bag that has my hiking clothes, shoes, underwear, hoodie, socks, and toiletries.  I realized at that moment in my exhausted state, that yes, I, Courtney Craig Killpack had left my bag on the top of the stairs at home.  I felt like a huge wave had consumed me.  I had it.  I was done.  I wanted to start screaming some very unlady like words at the top of my lungs and sob.  I went into the house and fell onto the couch feeling so much frustration, anger, disappointment, and an overwhelming feeling of stupidity.  Thank heaven for a sweet and loving mother in-law who tries to make everything better.  I'm exhausted, stressed, overwhelmed, and haven't eaten since noon.  My mom is the person who would drop everything she's doing to help any of her kids out.  I'm so grateful she would do that for me at 11:00 p.m.  I told her about the pickle I was in.  She told me she would drive to my house, unlock the pad lock to get the spare key to the house, go inside, grab my bag, and meet me half way in Draper the next morning, so I could get my bag.  

The first two trimesters have been pretty easy, the first trimester sleepiness was kind of hard to get through, but I've felt really proud of myself because I haven't been moody, forgetful, or felt hormonal.  I started to see an immediate change as I entered my third trimester and has been a roller coaster since then.  I've felt like I've been failing or not doing very best in a lot of areas in my life.  Knowing that I'm not as efficient as I once was has been a tough pill to swallow.  My life is about to change dramatically for the better, but its still a little scary to think.  I hope I can make the transition, from being selfish to be completely selfless.  I'll be responsible for raising this precious daughter of God.  I hope I don't corrupt it with all of my imperfections and impurities.  

Friday morning after coming back from Draper, I was able to give myself a treat, thanks Lisa for making me feel beautiful.  Getting your eyebrows done is my mani pedi.  McKay and I  ran a couple errands I wasn't able to get to the night before and made a little pit stop and visited my grandpa and grandma who is living with my aunt in Mapleton.  Grandpa isn't progressing as well as the nurses thought, so every time were in the area of Utah County, we're making visits to him and grandma.  After a hour of visiting we were on our way to the little town of Torrey.  We stayed in this RV/Campground site that has bathroom and showers (my kind of camping).  We set up camp and grabbed a bit to eat.  Later that night our dear friends, Megan and Chad finally showed up. 

The next few days were filled with good camp food, hiking, site seeing, stopping at every plaque on the side of the road and reading about the history of Capitol Reef National Park.  On Sunday, we made the journey to the mars like area of Goblin Valley State Park.  It was chill mini vacation.          



Brimhall Natural Bridge


Way awkward pregnancy picture. I look like one of those pregnant teens posing for her prom picture.
  


Goosenecks Overlook


The boys had so much fun at Goblin Valley.  I told McKay they should shoot an episode of Star Gate here.


Chad and McKay climbed up the hoodoos, played hide and go seek, and pretended to sword fight each other.  


Goblin Valley State Park.


We went to this recommended restaurant in Torrey, called Cafe Diablo.  I used the restroom and when I walked in all of these masks stare at you while your going pee.  It made me feel weird, so I took a picture of it.  This cafe received so many great reviews, I was kind of disappointed with the bland $13 lunch salad I ordered.  Maybe their $30 an entree dinner menu is better.    

1 comment:

Adria said...

Pregnancy brain has hit! I'm sure you won't lose your mind (it just might be several months before it's back!), and you're going to be an awesome mom! You'll be amazed at how quickly you adapt to motherhood and soon wonder what you did with all your time before having a baby :)
P.S. You should post more preggo pics--I want to see more of you rockin' the pregnancy looks!