Monday, August 15, 2011

Hurt Knee

The beginning of summer I started to run because the racquetball court at work got flooded and has been out on commission for a long time :(  Well, as I started to run more I noticed I had pain and swelling in my knee.  Normally when something like this happens after a few days it goes away and I feel better.  This swelling and pain kept coming back in waves.  It got to the point where it was painful to walk down the stairs and I had to limp on one of my legs.  I went to an orthopedic, got a X-Ray and MRI done on my knee to see if the doctors suspicion of a meniscus tear was correct.  Thank heaven it came back that it wasn't a tear, if it was that would of meant one word: surgery!  I was prescribed physical therapy twice a week to see if that would help with the pain and swelling.  This was my first time ever going to a physical therapist.  I felt kind of dumb the first couple visits because I didn't know what to expect.  Now that I'm a "pro" I enjoy my PT appointments because the last 15 minutes I get to take a nap while I get electrical stimulation on my knee. 

I like to think of myself as "active" and I like to be because I have more energy and it helps me focus.  Sometimes I dread doing active things because I'm not in the mood or am tired.  Because I was told to hold off being active for a while so my knee can heal and I notice I've been more tired, felt bloated, and dream about wearing sweat pants all the time.  This has been really hard. 

Good news.  Since I've been going to PT I haven't felt any pain.  On Saturday I rode my mountain bike to my parents house and back.  Hooray, a total of 12 miles!  McKay, being the roadie that he is, he makes fun of me because he says it looks weird seeing a girl, riding a mountain bike, on the road.  Don't judge, just love! 

I'm hoping to go hiking over Labor Day weekend down in Bryce Canyon and complete two 5K's in September.  

  

After writing this I realize this is a really dumb post and nobody is going to care, but it's my blog and I can post whatever I feel like.  I don't have much to say this week so far so I apologize for the lack in interesting topics to talk about.

No comments: