Friday, March 23, 2012

Oregon


 What a fun weekend.  My parents, Cameron, McKay and I were able to travel to Oregon to celebrate a momentousness day in my Great Grandpa's life, his 100th Birthday.  I had three agendas for this vacation.  


1. Spend quality time with family.
2. Eat as much seafood as my stomach and baby would allow.
3. Relax and take long strolls on the beach  

We flew in Saturday early morning and met up with both sets of my Grandparents for an early lunch at this Ma and Pa restaurant called Davidson's in Tigard.  My Mom used to work here when she was in high school.  It's funny because whenever we go there she has to tell every worker she comes across how she used to work there and how she's an expert on what food their known for.  I was so excited because last time I visited Oregon (three years ago) I found this vending machine in Davidson's that sells stick on mustaches.  Caitlin and I bought a couple of them and on our way home (16 hour drive from Oregon to Utah) we were bored stiff and thought it would be funny to put on the mustaches.  We put them on and drove a couple hundred miles with them on.  For some reason my Mom was so embarrassed by these mustaches she yelled at us about it.  Caitlin and I laugh about it every time about how funny and weird and  Mom was acting.  I took this picture of the vending machine and got a bought a couple mustaches for old times sake.  

 

After lunch we went over to the country club my Great Grandpa belongs to to help set up for the 100th Birthday party celebration.  I was able to get a snap of a picture of him when he was a young man.  

Thomas Young Emmett 
1930

The thing I love so much about him is that he's always been a very hard worker. When he was 17 he was financially taking care of his Mother and his younger siblings.  He never went to college but always credits his education to what he learned while serving over 60 years in the church.  He's was a bishop at the young age and was so for many years.  He later became a stake president and was so for many years.  The last stretch of his life he was made Temple President for the Portland Temple.  He ran a successful business for many years and now is definitely retired and lives on a golf course.  He is so sharp, he still goes walking every morning and has more energy than I do.  He has friends in high places, even President Monson took time to wish him a Happy Birthday through a card.


Great Grandpa Tom saying thank you to everyone at the party. 

 

Everyone singing "Happy Birthday" to this very special man.

 

The next day the family was able to check out the new Visitor's Center at the Portland Temple where my Grandpa was featured in a couple of videos about the building of the temple and local church history.     

Afterwards we took some pictures of this beautiful temple. Thanks to Instagram and their awesome filters.

 

On the way to the coast the boys wanted to stop and take a picture of the cool airplanes at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville.  Behind this jet we could see the Spruce Goose.  If you don't know what that is, I challenge you to do read up on your aviation history.    


Grabbed some grub at Mo's.  McKay got the Halibut Fish N' Chips

 

I ordered the crab melt.  So yummy and delicious. 

 

Of course we had to take a picture with the voluptuous naked mermaid outside of Mo's.

 

We finally got to the beach house in Gleneden! This house is amazing.  It belongs to my aunt's family and when I say we had a front view of the beach, we really did.  

 

 One of the first things we did when we got to the coast was go walking on the beach.  Stupid blonde moment for Courtney.  Under estimating how cold it gets on the coast in Spring.  Because I'm a nice wife I thought I would pack for McKay.  I do a pretty good job of doing this, but this time I dropped the ball big time.  I forgot to pack a coat, jacket, and an extra pair of pants for McKay and didn't pack anything relatively warm for myself either.  Thank you to all of our family members who let us borrow their warm gear.    

 

 



The next day we visited the Yaquina Light House in Newport Beach.


The light that directs ships

The stairwell that leads up to the top of the lighthouse.  We grabbed lunch at this place called Local Ocean in Newport Beach, and it was so delicious.  I didn't get a beautiful picture of my food, but this is a must stop.    I ordered the Tuna Mignon and it was mouth watering.  I was happy, I did get my seafood fix during this trip.  


A must stop for everyone is the Tillamook Cheese Factory Visitor Center in Tillamook.  We took some pictures, wandered around, ate lots of cheese samples and best saved for last, got delicious ice cream.


Moo!

Overall we had a fun trip. It went by too fast. This was McKay's first time going to Oregon.  He was impressed by its beauty and how wet it was.  I don't know if I could live there, but visiting is sure fun.  Here is a picture of me at 17 weeks, what eye candy I am.  

No comments: